Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Postcard Art - Moises Perez - Symphony Over the Sunset

While working on this postcard, I knew that I wanted to make something different. Something darker. With a limited selection of inks available for me to use, I used the plentiful black to turn my background into a complete void. I knew that the tape transfers would be difficult to see against the darkness, however, and proceeded to utilize a watercolor orange, splashing it upon the darkness in an attempt to make something akin to a mono-color aurora against a night sky. I further accentuated the transition of orange to black with a red perma-marker. I soon discovered this to be a mistake, since the red now stands out a lot, through the tape transfer.
I felt the primary tape transfer to be an indication of the cityscape of where I'm from. The building reminded me of the Chicago theater in the mid-twentieth century, which the black and white effect furthered. I knew it needed to be the subject of my postcard. It felt bad defacing the striking image for the purpose of this tape transfer, but I knew it was necessary. The individuals on the left and right are supposed to symbolize the audience of the symphony, looking upon performance.
All of my photo sources, alongside the dark background, do not mix well together in my opinion. It's dark enough to symbolize the bustling nightlife of the time, but too dark to really tell what's going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment