Thursday, February 20, 2014

Appropriated Artwork - Rebeca delaTorre: My Idea of Heaven

           I envision being in an open space outdoors. Everywhere I turn my head, all I see is grass, colorful flowers, and these beautiful tall trees with their dark green leaves blowing in the gentle wind. I look up at the sky, and I have to cover my eyes because the sun is shining brightly. The sun is smack dab in the center of a light blue sky surrounded by fluffy, cotton candy like clouds. I look over to my right, and there is a couple. However, this is no ordinary human couple. They are owls. They are sitting on a tree branch that is pretty close to the top of one of the tall trees.
            As I walk closer, I look up to them and realize that they are in love. There is no obvious way to tell this, but somehow, I can tell. We are the only ones there. They are there just because that is where they are happy. They wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I am there simply because that is where I am happy too. No one else is there because then it wouldn't be the peaceful place that it is. Nothing really happens there but pure relaxation and reminiscing.
            We are accompanied by the soothing music by Explosions in the Sky. It plays nonstop as long as we are there. As I walk along the line of trees, I go and sit on a swing attached to a tree branch. I start swinging and as the gentle and subtle wind begins touching my skin and face, I let go of the rope on the right side of me to remove the hair that gets in my face. I just smile because its moments like that mean the most to me. However, it doesn't really make a difference because every time I am on my way down again on the swing, my loose and long hair gets in my face.
            While I am swinging, I take a deep breath and I smell all kinds of flowers. The ones that stand out to me the most are roses and lavenders- my two favorite. Things couldn't be any better around here.
            The only thing about this place for sure is that it is what I consider a happy place- where I go when I want to be alone, with the exception of the love birds (literally). The owls are there because when I think of being happy, I tend to think of being in love. Of course, that’s not all that makes me happy, which is why I included Explosions in the Sky. Their instrumental music tends to relax me and take my mind off anything negative I don’t want to think about. This is a world where there are no worries. It my version of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment