Monday, October 21, 2013

Mariela Guzman "Exterminate"


    My idea for the Altered Sign project came from a sci-fi T.V. show named Doctor Who. The Dalek is the Doctor’s greatest enemy and these ruthless aliens always say “Exterminate” to anyone that isn't them. I altered the sign that says “Construction Ahead” into it saying “Extermination Ahead”. Since not many people watch Doctor Who, I want the viewers to wonder what the figure in the middle is and make them interpret what it might be. Considering that this is the Xanos Museum of Guerrilla Art, I would love my artwork to be displayed not only in a gallery but also out on a street pole where it can be a mock of an actual street sign. 

During the process of creating my artwork, I developed craft skills. During the art project, I learned how to create stencils properly and create bridges in the appropriate places. I created these stencils by using an x-acto knife. I did various stencils in which I also practiced on how to apply the paint properly. Instead of stroking the paint, we had to use small amounts of paint and sponge it down while carefully holding down the stencil. I learned that in order to achieve your artwork, you have to master knowing how to use art tools.  The making if my sign consisted of envisioning different ideas that would make my art successful. Creating thumbnails helped me to envision what Idea I thought would be best. I came up with various ideas, but I settled down on “Exterminate”. Overall, the making of my sign required me to engage 100 percent if I wanted it to turn out presentable.

No comments:

Post a Comment