Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Samantha Rodriguez: "Help Yourself.."


My concept for the Altered Sign project was to create a cleaning awareness sign. I used a construction sign of a man digging to a man mopping and added the words “Please Help Yourself”. The reaction I’m looking for is to have people care and clean up not only after themselves but just in general; to have the urge to not only clean but to help keep the earth clean. As for a place to be hung, the idea is to have it be anywhere were it is deemed necessary but in contradiction to the man mopping I feel that it can only be hung in the Guerrilla Art Museum for humorous proposes.
During the process of creating my art piece, I developed my craft skills more. Although already knowing how to use an x-acto knife I was able to learn how to create a proper stencil with ties (bridges) in the proper places. I did many practice prints on applying the paint correctly and evenly. I had to apply small amounts of paint on my sponge and carefully holding down the stencil while dabbing the paint through the stencil.
As a whole, I am a bit disappointed with the finished sign. There is so much that could be improved. I wish I could have developed the idea more to make more sense and not confuse people. With this project coming to an end I can only learn to further expand my ideas and correctly plan out the execution of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment